Monday, April 4, 2011

Holy Sea Isle!

There is nothing sweeter than the smell of the ocean, the sound of the waves, and the company of amazing women. Sunday morning Kathy, Joan, Maureen, and myself sat on the beach in Sea Isle City watching the waves gently crash upon the sands having traveled inland from the horizon. We had spent the weekend together on retreat reflecting upon the holy in the ordinary-in our world, our lives, and each other.

I did not think I had ever been to Sea Isle before but in sharing the weekend with my mom she shared that the best arcade was there and I in fact was there many times as a child. I think I was too young to remember! As far as my cognizant years go this was my first memory of the city that captures your smile! "I was captured by you smile, as we drifted by Sea Isle . . ."

It took a mere hour for the first brilliant smile to spread across my face. On our outing to the Acme Joan and I had a chance to witness the glorious sun setting over the bay. It was a moment that reminded me much of God's voice and calling to us. As we pulled out of the driveway Joan pointed out the golden gleam on the houses reflecting the sun's rays. I was so oblivious, until she had pointed it out I thought the source of the light was nothing more than a street light. It was as if brother sun was speaking to Joan, calling her to follow. And as she turned up and down side streets winding her way to the bay she listened to his words. I'm glad I was present to observe her following because it too brought me a gift that night and reminded me that following God means following the little hints, because that is what leads us to the greater treasure.

The next morning I ventured down to the beach. While it was a little chilly that first morning it was nonetheless beautiful!

There is something magical about the beach in early April, the sand untrodden leaving perfectly whole shells to be admired.

I was so happy that I was given the opportunity to share this retreat with my community. It was a small gesture of thanks for their undying support of me these past 7 months. We prayed together, played together, and praised together! There is nothing sweeter!


No comments:

Post a Comment