Sunday, September 26, 2010

Humperdinck Sundays

Engelbert Humperdinck, singer of the 60's, international recording icon, and (although I'm not quite positive, but pretty positive) a man known to make women swoon! It is this man's legacy that has brought a new tradition to Corpus Christi Convent: Humperdinck Sundays.

This tradition was born my first Sunday in community. Jokingly the sisters told me that they thought I should cook them breakfast. I actually thoroughly enjoy cooking and so I agreed to make pancakes . . . from scratch (it's the only real way!)

Fun fact about me . . . I wish life was a musical, if I could have a personal soundtrack constantly running in the background I would be thrilled. For real! Just imagine the fight scene in West Side Story, if we had to dance and sing every time we had disagreements with friends, co-workers, family, we would be a much happier people!

So, as I was preparing pancakes I had music playing . . . so that I could use the spatula as a microphone of course! Yup, I really do that too! Joan was curious if I had music more to her liking. I had a couple songs, but then she asked if I had any Engelbert. "Engel-who?" I replied. I do in fact actually know his music, but I had never heard his name. It was at this point that I introduced them to Pandora.com. This online music station allows you to type in an artist or song and then it automatically generates a station filled with similar music.

As I'm sure you can guess by now, our station is called, "Humperdinck." And so, Sunday mornings now consist of pancakes, Humperdinck et al, dancing, singing, and an all around good vibe! We remember "The Way it use to Be" in "Another Time, Another Place" and we say to Engelbert Humperdinck, you're NOT that easy to forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment