Friday, October 22, 2010

In Sickness and in Health, Live Community!

It seems to me that the body knows something that the mind fails to recognize, or maybe it is simply that the mind has the ability to ignore things that the body cannot, or will not. I recently wrote about the challenge of balancing the many things I juggle in life. After this week I would be remiss to not admit that I was struggling more than I had originally shared. I did not purposefully neglect to share, but truthfully speaking I am not sure I totally understood it myself.

Tuesday morning I woke up terribly ill, what my mind had been suppressing for a while now was made evident in my body this week. Bed ridden and house bound for three days I spent much time thinking about my schedule and my priorities in life. And while I am unfortunately not in a position to change the challenges in my schedule I am aware of them in a way that hopefully will help me in the future. The reality at this point in life; however, is that too many life situations have collided at once, making it difficult to focus fully on any one thing--hence the challenge of juggling . . .

Again this week, my community has taught me something about myself and my desire for community living. For a few years now I have been on my own. I remember living in Reading, by myself, and getting deathly ill. I was so sick that I did not get medication for a few days because I did not have the strength to drive myself to the drug store. This week my community really took care of me, in ways I have not experienced since my parents took care of me when I was sick as a child. It's nice. It's nice to be cared for and about, it's nice to know you're not alone, it's nice to be asked how you're feeling, it's just nice!

This week was a sure example to me of my deep desire, in sickness and in health to live community!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, community is a blessing in those times! Exactly a year ago, I had the H1N1; and I experienced my sisters' wise imperatives to stay in bed, serving cranberry juice and chicken broth. We young energizer sisters get hit with the reminder of our physical limits and of the beautiful interdependence of community.
    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete