Wednesday, December 1, 2010

You're Wearing Your Diet Well . . .

"Sara, you're wearing your diet well!" Sr. Anita said from down the hallway after lunch the other day. That's an odd way of putting it, I thought to myself. I am learning all sorts of new expressions for things these past few months, so maybe this was just one of those sayings . . .

I was thinking about it later . . .

Dieting is not usually something you can "see" per say. Of course you can see the effects of a diet, but can you see the diet itself? No, not really. But this is what she was insinuating, that my diet could be seen--I was "wearing" it. This got me thinking. . .

My "diet" is in reality my recent intentional decision to start eating healthier and more proportionally appropriately. Changing one's eating habits is an internal change, it's not typically something that, as Sr. Anita suggests, can be "worn." Yet, this was her wording . . . so the intentional internal shift has caused something visible on the outside.

Interesting . . .

So, how then do we make this happen when speaking about the spiritual life?

This question got me thinking, especially in this season of Advent. How can I "wear my Advent?" As we prepare for the Christmas season, and the second coming of Christ, how can I get spiritually uncovered?

I'm not really sure that I have an answer to this question, but I reckon it has something to do with expressing feelings freely, living truthfully, and being honest to the call within. I think it's worth experimenting with . . . So, this Advent I'm going to work on wearing my Advent!

No comments:

Post a Comment